Cats, by nature, are known to be really good in taking care of their offspring. However, there are instances where you, as a pet parent might be compelled to take care of a kitten that you are planning to raise. One of the imperative tasks related to taking care of a kitten is to feed her. Bottle feeding a kitten can be a hectic and time-consuming task. As a pet parent, it is imperative for you to take some factors to consider for feeding your kitten in the right way.
What to give your kitten?
When it comes to feeding a kitten, there are several options turn to, ranging from milk replacement formulas to canned liquid formula. It is always ideal to feed your kitten with homemade or approved formula rather than using canned liquid formulas. Stay away from options like cow’s milk as it has been found that cow’s milk hardly delivers the essential nutrients for a kitten and also induces diarrhoea.
Make sure that formula is warm or just a tad above the normal room temperature prior to feeding your kitten. So, if the formula was stored in a refrigerator, you need to heat it and one of the ideal ways to make it warm is by dipping the bottle containing it in hot water for a couple of minutes.
Tips to bottle feed your kitten
- Prior to pouring the formula into the bottle, ensure that it is stirred thoroughly. Keep an eye out for lumps, especially if it were stored in a refrigerator.
- Most of the pet parents try to feed their kitten in an upright position, avoid this at any cost. The right way to feed your kitten is when she is lying on her stomach.
- Use a new bottle nipple and puncture a hole in it using a sterilised needle. Make sure that the hole is just the right size, to confirm this, let the formula drip along once the hole has been cut, if the hole is right sized, the formula should drip slowly drop by drop.
- Ensure that all the utensils like the bottle, bottle nipple etc is dipped in hot water for a couple of minutes prior to using it for feeding the kitten each time. It is ideal to not to use the bottle nipple for feeding your kitten more than three times.
- It is also important that you wash your hand or use a sanitizer prior to handling the feeding utensils for feeding the kitten.
- Do not try to force feed your kitten, while feeding kitten, you might have the tendency to overfeed her by squeezing the bottle, but bear in mind that trying to overfeed your kitten in this manner can give way to the formula flowing into the lungs, which creates the risk of bloat and diarrhoea.
In addition to organic supplements, affection, touch and care also play a vital role in supporting the growth in kittens. Therefore, find time to feed your kitten and try not to do it in haste. Do not hesitate to approach a veterinarian to get some guidance on the formula supplement to use.