List of poisonous household products your pet can come across – Part 1

Share

List of poisonous household products for you pet

Animals are curious by nature and most of them eat or chew to confirm. This is a nightmare for pet parents. Pets, especially dogs and cats that usually have the liberty to roam around the house can easily come across different household substances like cleaning products or your medications. Most of these products are poisonous for your loved ones.

Here is a list of household products that are poisonous for your pet:

Household products

Bleach: bleach is one of the commonly used cleaning products in households. Bleach is poisonous for your pet. It is recommended to rinse the cage or toy of your pet at least thrice with clean water after using a bleach solution to clean it initially.

Even the odor of the bleach can be too much for your pet. Keep the windows open or use a fan to air out the room that was cleaned using bleach. Dispose the leftover solution after cleaning and keep the mops and other cleaning materials out of the reach of your pet.

Vinegar and water: Vinegar and water is a natural and affordable counterpart of commercial cleaning agents. Vinegar, which is acidic in nature can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and irritation for pets. Ensure that you keep the vinegar water cleaning solution out of the reach of your pet, especially when it is highly concentrated with vinegar.

Essential oils: essential oil is another household poison for pets, especially cats. Cats that ingest essential oil can develop health concerns ranging from gastrointestinal upset to liver failure. Studies have proven that ingesting essential oil can lead to the condition like aspiration pneumonia.

It is highly advised not to see the brand label prior to purchasing essential oils and to no use essential oils where your pets have access to.

Medications

Adderall: Adderall, a drug used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a conglomerate of two stimulant drugs namely amphetamine and dextroamphetamine. These stimulants are known to cause symptoms like tremors, seizures and even coma in pets.

Aspirin: Aspirin is a drug used for relieving mild fever and joint pains or muscle aches. Pet parents tend to use aspirin to regulate muscle aches or joint pains in their pet. However, most of them are unaware of the fact that aspirin should be used only under the supervision of a veterinarian.

Overdosing your pet with aspirin can result in health concerns like ranging from an upset stomach to liver failure. We strongly recommend that you do not treat your pet prior to consulting with a veterinarian. Keep in mind the dosage that you provide your pet with has a vital factor that points to either getting the health concern under control or leading to potentially life-threatening concerns.

Mosquito repellents: mosquito repellents, especially the one that contains Diethyl Meta Toluamide is hazardous for your pet. Always stick to the label recommendations when choosing and using mosquito repellents. Keep in mind that any product which doesn’t seem to be created for pets should not be used on them.

If you suspect that your pet has come across any of these poisonous household items, contact a veterinarian immediately.

Share