Pet parents usually choose to leave pet care to facilities like boarding kennel when they go away on a vacation or business trip. When you are in search of a pet boarding kennel, there are some factors that you need to consider. This post will feature some of the important tips to consider when choosing a boarding kennel to ensure that your pet stays safe and happy in your absence.
Finding a boarding kennel for your pet can be a daunting task, especially, on occasions like weekends and school holidays. Most of the kennels are booked out well in advance on such occasions. Therefore, finding a reliable and affordable boarding kennel can be difficult.
Even if you are in search for a boarding kennel because of moving a house or renovating it, it is imperative to organize early. On such occasions, you might need some time in advance to compare the different boarding kennels in your locality, to choose the right one that suits your budget and requirement.
Word of mouth is the most reliable strategy when you wish to choose the best boarding kennel for your pet. Strike up a conversation with the dog parents at the park to learn more about the boarding kennels within your locality and the special services that each offer.
Stick to the kennel checklist
It is also important to visit the kennel in person to ensure that amenities meet your expectations. When you inspect a kennel, it is important that you check for the following:
- Is the facility clean, well ventilated and smell good?
- Does the facility have ideal temperature and lighting?
- How often do they feed the dogs?
- Is the facility also provide veterinary services, if yes, what kind of services do they offer?
- Do they offer pet pickup and drop?
- Are the staffs certified, knowledgeable and caring?
- How often can they update you on the dog’s wellbeing?
- Also, ask the staff about how they plan to respond to emergency situations and the line of security that they offer for the pets.
Does your dog need special care?
Some dog breeds need special care. For instance, brachycephalic dog breads faces several health related issues. Does your dog need medication or is he a bit anxious around other dogs? Consider these factors while choosing a boarding kennel.
If your dog needs special care, it is always ideal to stick with a boarding kennel that also provides veterinary services. You can always find luxury dog boarding kennels that offer the extra bit of pampering and care for your dog. Such kennels can offer training, daily grooming and plenty of other services to ensure that your dog stays safe and sound.
How to identify a bad kennel?
To identify a shady kennel, look for the following signs:
- The staff doesn’t seem to enjoy interacting with the dogs while doing their job.
- Dogs that seem anxious or restless instead of resting.
- Pens that seems cramped and smelly.
- Kennels that are hesitant to show your around, especially the pen where your dog will be housed.
Finding the right boarding kennel for your dog is not an easy task. It is important that you start your search as soon as possible and stick with this guide to choosing the right kennel for your dog.